Microsoft adds a backup system in most of its operating systems and keeps enhancing its recovery features with every new release. In Windows 8, Microsoft has added a new recovery option named File History which lets you backup Windows 8 desktop, libraries, favorites, and contacts to an external drive. Previously, I have shared a full article about how to use File History feature in Windows 8. Along with File History, there are many freeware applications that I have reviewed related especially to backup. You can read all the previous articles on backup here.
In this post, I am going to review one more freeware application to back up the whole Windows operating system, especially Windows 8. Windows 8 is now the latest operating system by Microsoft and Paragon software has developed one freeware backup application titled Image backup for Windows 8. As its name suggests, it is a special edition only for Windows 8 users to keep their system safe from all types of disasters. As you know, disaster strikes in many ways and can crash your system when you are least expecting it. The top reasons for system crashing are virus attacks and hardware failure but if you have backup of your system then you don’t need to worry about your data.
Image Backup for Windows 8 is a free disk-imaging utility for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 that includes several intelligent wizards and a powerful Linux/DOS recovery environment. Based on Paragon’s Universal File System Driver technology that delivers support for all popular file systems on the market today, including the newest ReFS, Image Backup for Windows 8 offers a unique option to try a backup storage formatted to this promising file system. It is very easy to use and comes with user friendly UI.
Once you back up your system using Image Backup for Windows 8, you can create a recovery disk or USB pen drive as well. Recovery Media will help you to restore the system in case your system fails to boot and recover. There are some more features available with this freeware backup which are not available within the default backup feature in Windows 8.
- Support of the latest Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012
- Support of the brand-new ReFS (Resilient File System) for backup, restore, and browsing under Windows and Linux
- Live Windows backup. Create an image-based copy of the whole disk system, or separate volumes and place it locally, to CD/DVD/BD, or on the net. The use of the disk-imaging mechanism and Microsoft VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service) tackles the problem of backing up running applications and system locked files
- Flexible recovery. Restore the whole backup image, or only particular files under Windows or from the Linux/DOS recovery environment
- Additional maintenance functions. The Linux/DOS recovery environment includes basic functions for initializing, partitioning and formatting hard disks
[Download Paragon Image Backup for Windows 8]